Job Title: Financial Misselling Paralegal
Contract: Full Time, Permanent
CRA Consulting are a specialist legal recruiter, operating across the UK. CRA works in partnership with reputable law firms with either local, regional, national or international presence. We recruit at all levels from board, director and partnership level through to support staff
For additional information on how we can assist you with your next career move, visit the CRA Consulting Website at www.craconsultants.com
To assist a claimant in pursuing a claim for financial mis-selling from inception until the letter of claim – pre litigation only.
As a paralegal you have a duty of care to the Claimant to ensure the claim is prepared to be issued to the Court – this would include duties such as liaising with the claims management company, following the correct procedures and processes as set out in the department, corresponding with the client, time management and prioritising your workload.
The FMS team handle a caseload of claims where the Claimant has been mis-sold a financial product or have been provided with the incorrect financial advice from a broker such as:
- Broker Misselling (nature of the product, charges, terms and commission not explained)
- Inadequate advice (risks, affordability, full details not provided)
- Strong sales pressure
The common products that are our focus for mis-selling claims are:
- Plevin v Paragon Personal Finance and Canada Square Operations Ltd v Potter – nondisclosure of commission on a secured credit agreement and insurance policy
- SIPPS (Self Invested Personal Pensions)
- Personal Contract Purchase (PCP)
- QROPS (A pension that qualifies with HMRC rules, is recognised by HMRC, is overseas and set up in trust as a legal pension scheme)
- Final Salary or Defined Benefits Pension
- Undisclosed Commissions
- Mortgage Mis selling
- Supporting the running of a caseload to ensure that all claims are up to date and progressed within the correct time frame.
- Reviewing a claim to fact find and assess if the Claimant has a valid claim for financial mis-selling.
- To review documents to establish whether the claim should be litigated or if the claim should be referred to the FSCS/FOS
- Ensuring all compliance requirements are documented on the file, i.e.. Research, AML evidence, Terms of Business, Correspondence
- Be proactive and use your initiative when presented with problems or issues.
- Request all relevant information from the relevant parties as soon as this is identified.
- Provide excellent customer service by regularly updating the Claimant on the progression and next steps of their claim and answering any queries in a professional manner.
- Be proactive in your approach to the role by researching the area of law you practice in and keeping up to date with all relevant case law and industry updates.
- Advise Claimants accordingly on offer of settlement and where to make either Calderbank or Part 36 offer.
- Prepare the case in a timely and efficient manner in readiness for the issue of legal proceedings, which will allow the Litigation Assistants and Litigators to progress the case through the litigation process.
Attributes & Competencies Required:
- Excellent technical skills in litigation, an ability to make a considered judgement call and a proven history of meeting and exceeding client expectations
- Candidates will need to be assertive, focussed and be able to present themselves in a confident manner to clients, particularly high net worth individuals. Resilience and an ability to remain calm under pressure are also key attributes.
- Candidates will need to demonstrate excellent written and interpersonal skills in order to meet the drafting and presentation aspects of the role, as well as a keen eye for detail.
- Organisational and prioritising skills are also essential to meet the demands of challenging internal and external clients
- Good teamwork skills and the ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels are essential.
- Candidates are expected to be pro-active and take the initiative to aid their development in the role and the relationships with key clients/contacts.
- 23 days annual leave
- Rises to 25 days after 3 years.
- Rises to 27 days after 5 years.
- Christmas Closure – extra paid leave
- Westfield Health Enrolment reimburses £180.00 for Dental and Optical
- Casual/smart dress code
- Support for a Work Life Balance and flexible working
- Friendly and playful working environment
- Support for Training and ongoing Development
- Opportunities for fast-track promotion.
How to apply:
If this vacancy interests you, please click the apply button. Alternatively, if you would like to discuss with Rob Addy who is managing this vacancy, call 0114 241 8030 for a confidential discussion.
Are you wanting to review additional career opportunities? Visit our jobs page at www.craconsultants.com/jobs