POSITION AVAILABLE: REGIONAL LEGAL OFFICER (GRADE 8)
Location: Regional Office, Hendon
We are seeking an experienced Regional Legal Officer to join the london team. As an integral member of this team, you will manage and coordinate all legal services for our region. The successful candidate will work under the guidance of the Regional Secretary and will be expected to maintain a comprehensive understanding of all law areas, particularly unfair dismissal, redundancy, discrimination, equal pay, and common law litigation.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Team Management: Supervising the legal department staff to ensure efficient task performance and foster a motivated and skilled working environment.
Legal Advice and Advocacy: Providing legal advice to officers, activists, and members; representing members at Employment Tribunals; maintaining excellent advocacy skills; delivering advice on Welfare Benefit issues and Social Security Tribunals, necessitating a comprehensive knowledge of Social Security law.
Collaboration with Regional Solicitors/Unionline: Supervising external Solicitors/Unionline's work, managing expenditure, and monitoring performance to ensure top-quality service for our members.
Training: Organizing and delivering regular employment law update training for Regional Officers and imparting employment law awareness, rights, and time limit training to new representatives and experienced activists.
Income Generation: Advising and signing off settlement agreements.
Reporting: Preparing and presenting legal reports at Regional Committee and Council meetings; reporting on legal data for Congress.
Public Relations: Issuing media releases, conducting interviews, promoting the Region's legal services achievements, and leveraging these to assist in member recruitment.
General Duties: Advising the Regional Secretary on Union's rules, holding keys for Regional Office, supporting and advising regional staff on Industrial action and Ballot legislation, and performing additional duties as requested by the Regional Secretary.
- In-depth knowledge of employment law tribunal procedure and rules
- Proficient in drafting pleadings and applications
- Excellent written, verbal, and communication skills
- Competence in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel
- Experience in public speaking and advocacy
- Enthusiasm for active participation in member recruitment
- Experience with employment law claims and client contact (in-person or telephone)
- Familiarity with electronic case management systems
- Admitted Solicitor
- Team player with proactive work style
- Ability to empathize with members
- Alignment with Trade Union and Labour movement values
- Full driving licence
- Experience in actively participating in member recruitment
- Public speaking experience
- Advocacy experience
for more informatio please contact Rob Addy on 0114 2418030 or click apply today with a copy of your most recent c